I recently had an eye test completed and subsequently followed through on the specialist’s recommendation to purchase glasses. Little had I realised that over time, I had slowly become accustomed to blurred vision. Now, with a fresh set of “eyes,” things that were unclear and hazy have become sharp and distinct.
At different times in our personal worlds, our careers and business endeavours, the focus that was once crystal clear becomes a little muddied. We find ourselves so deep in the trenches that all we see are the trench walls, losing sight of what is beyond. We find ourselves going through passionless motions that once brought us life.
If you find yourself doing that daily trench trudge make a move to jump up on top. Some things that might be helpful are:
- A change of routine;
- Meet with some inspirational friends or colleagues;
- Incorporating something fun into your life;
- Pursuing something that you are curious about;
- Taking a risk in something you’ve been delaying;
- Hiring a coach or mentor. (I have just hired someone to coach me again from the US and 3 weeks in I can tell you it’s well worth the investment);
- Schedule think time into your weekly schedule;
- Get some fresh input which might include further training or reading.
A fresh set of “eyes” helps raise us from the footslog of the trench to the freedom of the mountain. And often, it is just the simple things that help gain that shift.