Success is about leadership not location. On one occasion, I consulted with two similar types of business in the same town on the same street. One was doing well, the other was not. Leadership was the key differentiator. While successful businesses are led by different behavioural and personality styles (e.g. some introverted, some extroverted), all leaders I’ve encountered generally exhibit the following traits:
- Most are humble and teachable, yet determined. They are willing to be wrong but determined to get it right. They are humble enough to accept input from management, employees, consultants, accountants, mentors etc.
- Visionary. They ‘see’ and create the future
- Leaders not followers. They are the captain of the ship and everyone in the organisation knows it. They don’t fall prey to the whims and whines of customers and employees.
- They recruit their weaknesses building strong teams around them.
- They hold people accountable for results
- Display a strong sense of self belief
- Exhibit a strong abundance mentality around future work, money, people etc
Successful companies are led by good leaders period. They do not blame the winds of change always looking within themselves rather than out. If you run a coffee shop ten miles out of town on a road that no one travels down then yes, location might be an issue but in the majority of cases, leadership not location is the success factor