Many of the business owners I work with struggle to have a life outside of work. They mostly enjoy what they do, but often long for a bit more freedom from the office.
If you find yourself longing for the outside here are ten points that I often use with business owners when helping them get their life back.
- Ask: What are the ingredients that (for you) contribute to living full of vitality? e.g. diet, fitness, rest, play, type of work etc.
- Understand what your limits are. What agendas and schedules have you living out on the edge?
- Clarify the outcomes you want along with some goals you know would breathe life into you. e.g. visit our beach house monthly; a fully systemised business; go to the gym 3 days per week; be home at 5 pm daily to see my children; complete a wine appreciation course.
- What are the key changes I need to make that will contribute to obtaining these outcomes/goals?
- Take time to design work pathways away from yourself. You don’t have to do it all. This often means a position description review of other employees and/or the recruitment of other key personnel in order to redistribute your tasks to them.
- Over time, incorporate into your schedule ONLY that which contributes to your desired outcomes.
- Always ask, “who else can do this?” Delegate and then follow up.
- Learn to say no to others agendas and yes to your own.
- Plan next week this week; tomorrow, today.
- When you leave the office, intentionally close your door as a way of mentally shifting gears to the life you are stepping into outside of the office walls.
Lifestyle is all about the style of life we are living. Managing our lives according to the outcomes we desire is a powerful way to live a fulfilled life.